Saturday, November 24, 2012

Yesterday I went on the Harry Potter Studio tour. Warner Brothers have filled two lots with costumes, sets, props, and models from the movies. Everything you see is the "real thing." I feel like the pictures speak for themselves, but for those Muggles I'll include captions.
In front of Dumbledore's office with Addison and Jessica.
Harry's cupboard under the stairs.
The Great Hall. Many people think the Great Hall is at Oxford, but it's not. The Great Hall in the movies was designed after the one at Christ Church in Oxford, but never filmed there.
Alan Rickman (Snape) is a method actor and felt that his character would not care about clothes or fashion so he refused to let his costume be updated or changed in the movies. He wears pretty much the same thing in all of them.
They created all the books that are mention in the Harry Potter series to be used in the classroom scenes.
The letters that changed Harry's life.
The Black Family tree. It was made by hand and has the appropriate people burned off.
The bridge
The model of Hogwarts is a spectacular display of craftsmanship. It fills a large room and has exquisite detail. This picture makes it look small, but it's quite large.
I included this picture so you can see how large the castle is compared to the people looking at it.
Flying the Weasley car
For one brief shining moment, I got to play Quidditch. I'm so happy!











3 comments:

  1. Nice! Is that right in London? It looks like an awesome place to go! P.S. Didn't they say they filmed some things at Christ Church (like on the staircase), just not in the Great Hall or am I making that up? :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Oxford, they did say that they filmed one scene on the staircase, but I question why they'd go all the way to Oxford for that short clip when they had multiple studios. They never used the Great Hall at Christ Church, just the set they designed after it.
      It's about 20 minutes outside London. You take a train, then a shuttle from the station to the studio. Not that long of a trip:)

      Delete
    2. Nice! I do remember them saying the Great Hall was never used, but you make a good point. Why would they go all the way there for one scene? Hmm. Well, I'm glad I am not making things up anyway! If I ever make it back to London, I'll have to visit the studio!

      Delete